Hello Scientopia!

Sep 02 2012 Published by under Uncategorized

My name is InBabyAttachMode and I am very honored and excited to write here at Scientopia for the coming two weeks. I normally blog here and can be found on twitter @babyattachmode. I have been reading science blogs for a couple of years but only started blogging myself about six months ago, when I realized that in real life I didn’t have many friends who were post-docs with babies, but that there’s a ton of those out there on the internet.

I am a post-doc from a small country in Europe (that country where it is sort of legal to smoke weed but which name shall not be named because I don’t want to be too easily Google-able). I moved to the US together with my husband (then boyfriend, referred to as Dr. BrownEyes) a little over two years ago to learn slice electrophysiology and to experience what it’s like to live and work in another country. When I’m not in whole cell mode I tend to be in baby-attach mode with BlueEyes, who was born in the summer of 2011. I carry BlueEyes in a sling a lot and he still drinks my breast milk (although I’ve recently stopped pumping milk at work).

I tend to whine write about being a post-doc, doing science, deciding to stay in academia or not and how you can manage to do all of that on very little sleep, because BlueEyes still wakes up anywhere between 2 and 5 times a night. I hope you will enjoy reading what I have to say!

• Bashir says:

How much does blue eyes weigh at this point? The sling isn't hard on your back?

• babyattachmode says:

He's a little over 20 pounds now, and I don't wear him as much as when he was smaller, but with a woven wrap or a good carrier (like the Ergo for example) it doesn't feel that heavy. It's a good workout too 😉

• gerty-z says:

Welcome! FWIW, I used an Ergo w/ Mini-G until she was pretty big. That thing was like magic. BUT...BlueEyes still wakes up 2-5x/night?!!???! Bummer. I don't think I could have managed > 1 yr of the sleep deprivation.

• babyattachmode says:

Thanks!
      I didn't think I could do a month of sleep deprivation. I remember very well that in my last weeks of pregnancy I thought: "oh good, once the baby is out I'll be able to sleep better again" (what was I thinking?!??) But I go to bed early whenever I can and co-sleeping really helps to get as much sleep as possible...

• Alexis says:

Welcome to Scientopia!

I wore my kid in a sling for quite a while, too, and I nursed it for nearly two years. I don't know if it's just the circle of women I run in or something else, but the sling+breastfeeding this was quite normal among my friends and colleagues here in California. And it appears to be normal for the wives/females partners of the younger colleagues in our department, too.

And our kiddo didn't start sleeping through the night until it was about a year old. Not fun at all.

• babyattachmode says:

Thanks! Yeah I guess it depends where you live how normal it is to babywear and breastfeed. For me it's the path of least resistance 😉