Wheat

Feb 23 2012 Published by under Uncategorized

is currently the bane of my existence.

I threw up a lot first trimester.  After all sorts of stuff.  Coming into second trimester (and weaning off metformin-- I have PCOS and insulin resistance, which means I have an increased chance of miscarriage first trimester and gestational diabetes third trimester, especially if I eat refined grains or sugars), one thing still makes me throw up.

Wheat.

I'll eat something with wheat in it, purposefully or not.  (Oh, Tempura... Oh, Worcestershire sauce...How you wound me.)  Then an hour or two later, I will empty the contents of my stomach.  I will repeat the process after the next meal no matter what I ate for that second meal.  I will spend the next day or two feeling queasy depending on how much wheat I ingested.

I hate this.

The internet tells me it could be two things.  I could have a wheat allergy or I could have celiac (wheat intolerance is less likely).  Both can be triggered by pregnancy.  If it is an allergy, it might go away.  If it is celiac, I am stuck with it for life.  If it is an allergy, according to the 'net, it could become life-threatening by suddenly causing me to be unable to breathe (so I should carry around allergy meds just in case).  If celiac, it could hurt the baby's growth if I'm not careful.

I brought my inability to eat wheat up at the doctor's appointment and she was all, "Just don't eat wheat"... and I'm like, Lady, it could be an allergy and could go away or it could be celiac, and celiac is pretty serious.  So basically she was no help.  (This was one of many reasons I switched back to my original doctor the next day, despite doctor #1's overbooked schedule.)

The internet suggested a test to me to see if it is more likely to be celiac or an allergy (since throwing up is a symptom of either, and it doesn't stay down long enough to present other symptoms).  Apparently rye has gluten in it, so you can't eat it if you're celiac but you can eat it if you're allergic.  So I ate some rye wasa wafers and was fine, so hopefully the internet is right and it's an allergy that will go away in a few months (because insulin resistance + celiac = misery).  Of course, I'm a bit sick of rye wasa wafers from overdoing it on them even before the anti-wheat stuff popped up.

I LOVE Indian food.  I love lentil flour.  I love papadam and pakora and methu vada and some of the dosa.  One of our admin assistants told me there's an Indian place in the city that does gluten-free lentil noodles-- man I wish I could try those.  I was loving sushi (cooked or veggie only) until the tempura mistake.  Also sweet potato is on my "ugh" list because a lot of things just don't taste good anymore once you've tried them the other direction.  I'm getting a bit tired of brown rice cakes and a bit tired of oatmeal (recall, I can't eat refined grains because of glycemic load... so there are a lot of corn, rice, and potato options that are closed to me).  We keep a pot of cooked quinoa or brown rice in the fridge at all times.  Sometimes I'll use beans in place of noodles.  While the family enjoys spaghetti... I pretend I'm in a different part of Italy.

Last time around I was unable to eat wheat for a while, but it was combined with my inability to keep *anything* except fruit down.  So it wasn't just the wheat.  And it went away by now, I think.  (My memory is kind of fuzzy at this point, but I think it stopped shortly after 2nd trimester started.  Definitely after I'd gotten off Metformin.)

So... not much point to this post (in fact, we debated letting it go up while we're cross-posting at Scientopia as it is not particularly academic!), but I'm feeling sorry for myself!  I could do wheat-free OR insulin resistant, but doing both SUCKS exponentially.  And I am so glad a good Indian place came to town last year so I can eat there at least once a week.

Tags:

• MOTHERFUCKEN KASHA!!!!!!!!!!

• nicoleandmaggie says:

makes me throw up because it is made from wheat!!!! (Buckwheat groats = wheat.) Are you trying to kill me?

Which sucks because it has drastically cut down my frozen dinner variety meaning I don't have much for last minute lunches. There's two very expensive Indian dinners that I can get in the freezer aisle now, since the other Indian dinners switched from brown rice to white. My life sucks.

• No fucken wai is buckwheat related to wheat, except to the extent that both are flowering plants. In fact, they're as distantly related as any two flowering plants can be: buckwheat is a dicot, and wheat is a monocot.

• nicoleandmaggie says:

Well, Kashi brand, which is all the Kasha I've got available around here in this small town, has wheat in it and makes me throw up (empirically), whether or not straight buckwheat groats do.

I have no fucken idea what the fucke "kashi" is, but there's no fucken wheat in motherfucken kasha. And the shitte's fucken delicious!! Coat the motherfuckers in whole egg, and then toast them dry in the pan, before adding the boiling water or broth and browned onions and boiling them until done. YEAH!

• nicoleandmaggie says:

Kashi is a BRAND.

But yes, feel free to throw around your urban privilege.

• Ethan says:

I'm not familiar with kasha, but if there are products like kasha that you'd like to try, you can probably order them online (especially if they're dried and have a low shipping weight). FIRST WORLD PRIVILEGE!

• nicoleandmaggie says:

I don't know if you've ever tried to order flour or grain products online but they are crazy expensive. Maybe YOU have the money to do that, but some of us don't have that kind of privilege.

Thanks for rubbing salt in the wounds, guys.

• HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!

• becca says:

you can get the shitte CPP mentioned on Amazon.com for around $4/lb if you buy a large quantity (12 count 13oz boxes).
          Which is INSANELY expensive for grains, but cheap for food. You can call privilege, but is it really an insurmountable expense?

And they specifically claim it's safe for those with Celiac's http://wolffskasha.com/gluteninfo/celiac.htm
          So if you get some and throw up... it wasn't Celiacs?

• Yes, I looked on Amazon. $4/lb is still a lot when you can only buy them in $40-70 sized packages. For something that I may not even be able to eat and certainly don't need huge quantities of. And isn't functionally *that* much different than barley (except doesn't have gluten).

• And again, thanks for being so supportive. I hope you all get to experience this kind of support some day.

• jeffk8900 says:

Check out the paleo diet. Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson

• Isabel says:

Kasha is delicious and a complete protein (supposedly). Whole Foods will definitely have it. Why would the internet suggest you might have an allergy to buckwheat? That is truly bizarre.

"and I'm like, Lady, it could be an allergy and could go away or it could be celiac, and celiac is pretty serious"

Why would the celiac still be a problem if you stop eating the wheat?

Brown rice pasta is pretty good also, my sister's family eats it to accommodate one allergic person and they all love it.

• nicoleandmaggie says:

When we get into the city next, which will not be for several weeks, I will look for it.

Celiac requires more dietary changes than just not eating wheat. And many problems with celiac are invisible until a lot of damage has been done. Feel free to read up on it.

I was very excited when I found brown rice pasta at our small specialty grocery last week. We put it in hot and sour soup and I was very happy. They only have one kind though-- very thin noodles for Asian food.

• Isabel says:

"Coat the motherfuckers in whole egg, and then toast them dry in the pan, before adding the boiling water or broth and browned onions and boiling them until done."

Maybe this is a stupid question (I am not much of a cook), but do you start with toasted buckwheat? Then you coat it with egg? You add the boiling water and browned onions to the egg-covered kasha? hmm I will give it a try, but the egg part sounds pretty messy.

• Just a heads up: most commercially available brands of soy sauce (at least in the US) have wheat in. This means that generally speaking, East Asian cuisine restaurants are out. You can get gluten free (100% soy, no wheat) in the grocery store easily; I've even come across sushi restaurants that have it.

Oats are also out; they are grown alongside wheat, and there's substantial cross-contamination. You can get wheat/gluten free from Bob's Red Mill.

If you're eating out, avoid anything with an opaque sauce, and all soups.

Good luck! Hope it passes after the baby does.

• Thanks!

We actually still have some of the Tamar-something soy sauce leftover from a previous Whole Foods trip (by happy accident), which is wheat-free, and that hasn't been giving problems. I also haven't been having problems with our local Korean place, so long as I don't get the seafood pancake.

Not like my sad sad experience discovering Worcestershire sauce is made from malt vinegar which has wheat. It will be a long time before I can have strogonoff again.

I'm not having problems with oats. But if it is celiac instead of an allergy, that's an example of something I would have to switch to Bob's Red Mill (which our grocery does carry at about 5x the cost of the store brand) to avoid intestinal damage, but I wouldn't if an allergy.

• Isabel says:

"Maybe this is a stupid question (I am not much of a cook), but do you start with toasted buckwheat? Then you coat it with egg? You add the boiling water "

Just realized this sounds stupider than I meant:) I got that you toast it after the egg coating but the kasha I have is already toasted so I think it will be too much. I'll wait til I can get some untoasted (or lightly toasted).

It actually tastes pretty good just boiled in water! I've been having it as a side dish with eggs for breakfast. Healthier and higher protein than toast of potatoes.

• Scitrigrrl says:

The avoiding wheat thing - or gluten if it's celiac - sucks for the first six months, and then you get over it, it becomes a normal way of eating other than the occasional frustration.
    In that six months, you think about EVERYTHING you eat, but you learn, you recover, you remember how it feels not to be sick all the time.
    Yes there can be lots of hidden damage, but if you're only recently symptomatic, that's probably limited.
    But...get it tested. The blood tests that are pretty accurate if you want to avoid the intestinal biopsy for now.

I hope that it's not celiac. But if it is know that it's not THAT difficult.

• I have been informed on our regular blog that the blood test (which is probably no the genetic test) is not accurate unless you have been eating gluten enough to build up antibodies. Of course, eating gluten with celiac can harm a fetus. The doctor said they would not do an intestinal biopsy on a pregnant woman.

I'm already on a restricted diet for insulin resistance and have been for several years. It still sucks.