Focusing on the here and now

Jan 03 2012 Published by under Uncategorized

I only have a few weeks left as a postdoc, and I'm as anxious as can be to start my new job as a tenure-track assistant professor (seriously, I still haven't gotten over the thrill and foreignness of that title). The past two weeks away from work have provided a much needed break, even considering the constant buzz of travel, family gatherings, and chasing after our very active toddler. With the new year in play and a new job on the horizon, though, it's time to get back to work.

Probably the toughest part of this transition is keeping myself focused on what's right in front of me here in Postdoc City. I have several small-ish experiments to complete to round out a manuscript that needs to be submitted. I need to finish organizing my postdoc work for my mentor and for my new lab. I need to find Hubby, Monkey and myself a place to live in Tenure-Track Town. We need to pack our condo and storage unit, and we need to finalize moving arrangements. It's a lot to do in a very short period of time, and I need all the focus I can muster.

But then there's all that new, kewl stuff waiting for me out there in Tenure-Track Town. My science. My office. My future Keurig coffee pot in my office. My new iPad. My science. My lab. My future lab minions. My lab equipment. My science. My experiments. My grants. Have I mentioned my science? I'm so scared of fucking up, but I'm also so excited to get started. On my science.

Focus is more important now than ever. I need to finish what I've started in Postdoc City, in order to put myself in the best position possible once I get to Tenure Track Town. It's time to put my head down and my nose to the grindstone. One last postdoctoral push before I take my next steps into professorhood.

• Sandlin says:

Very exciting time! Good luck getting it all done so you can start on your future as a brilliant scientist. I look forward to hearing about the transition.

• Alyssa says:

So excited for you and can't wait to read all about it! Good luck wrapping everything up!

• feMOMhist says:

i would like

1. minions
    2. a Keurig

historians suck

GL it will ROCK and so will you

• scicurious says:

I have to say I wouldn't get the Keurig. I've been very disappointed in their coffee, tends to be weak and have poor flavor. Now THIS THING: http://www.nespresso.com/citiz/ That thing is AMAZING. Such lovely coffee...

• Dr. O says:

Since cutting back my caffeine for pregnancy, I've actually grown quite accustomed to weaker coffee, but the poor flavor worries me. Is this due to their coffee being bad, cuz I thought other brands were now selling their coffee in K-cups? Or is the coffee maker itself a problem? Looking at the prices, it will be an investment, so I want to make sure I get the best (within reasonable $$$)!!

• Dr Becca says:

I got the CitiZ for my office/lab lounge, and it is spectacular. I feel like with the Keurig, no matter how fancy K-cups you get, it just doesn't pull a good cup of coffee. The N'Espresso machine itself is a bit more $$ than the Keurig, but the pods are the same price, plus then you are in a CLUB. Literally--if you're in a city with a N'Espresso store you can go in there and get very special treatment. It's quite fun.

• Dr. O says:

Alright, I started checking this out, and the website is a little... overwhelming. Are you locked in to using their capsules? I liked seeing the K-cups at the grocery store (and CostCo!!).

Also, exactly what kind of special treatment are we talking about here? Foot rubs? A free cup of coffee? Acknowledgement of my existence? 'Cuz the music alone on that website is making me wonder...

• I will not stand by and let you women besmirch the good name of the Keurig coffee maker. I challenge you both and whatever substandard coffee makers you are promoting to a dual. Best cup wins.

PS, I don't drink coffee but Genomic RepairWife does and swears by the thing. I just use it to make tea or hot chocolate.

• Joat-mon says:

I got a Kerig as a Christmas gift and have returned it right away. I agree with scicurious and Dr. Becca — it makes really weak coffee. I love my Pixie. It is a newer version of the Citiz; it has a smaller footprint and it shuts off automatically.

• scicurious says:

Bring it on GR. The CitiZ makes an UNPARALLELED cup of coffee.

As for the Keurig, I find their own coffee to be bitter on the front with very little richness or flavor, and the the other brands end up simply weak. I actually got a cheap drip for my office rather than use the dept Keurig.

• Dr Becca says:

You are locked into using their capsules, but you order them online and they come in two days. Presents!

At the store (at least the one here) they have a little velvet roped-off area where you can go and they'll make you a free espresso. Nice if you're walking around in the neighborhood and need somewhere to duck into to get out of the cold or take a little break.

And the Pixie and CitiZ apparently have all the same internal parts, and pull the exact same espresso. The Pixie is a little cheaper, but not quite as sexy looking (IMO).

• becca says:

I am very happy with my new Breville for morning lattes, though if one is Committed to the idea of pods, my model (with built in grinder) wouldn't make any sense.
      I personally am Committed to the idea of a good foamer and lots of crema more than Lack of Mess (for an office machine, I might feel differently).

• Dr. O says:

I don't need foam or anything, just a decent cup of coffee with no mess; I can't stand the thought of grounds everywhere on my desk. 😛

Hubby and I were also considering a Keurig for home, since he likes really strong dark coffee, while I prefer the flavored, hazelnut, fru-fru coffees. We figured a single cup brewer with a pod would be easiest and quickest, and I liked the idea that several coffee makers were starting to put their coffee in K-cups.

With what I'm hearing here about the flavor and weakness, though, this may not make any sense. Clearly, we're going to have to give this some more thought. Our continued caffeine intake (and marital bliss) depends on it!

• DrLizzyMoore says:

We are quite happy with our Keurig. We have the simple version, small v large cup. The better brew comes from the 'small cup' choice, IMO. Hubby uses it for coffee; I use it for tea and hot cocoa (like GR above, except reversed). Hubby is a finicky coffee dude and has been quite happy. Good luck!!

• Bashir says:

There's really no substitute for The Big Chair and a bunch of minions.

• Dr 27 says:

Cool-io! So happy for you.

• Jean says:

I am all for a Keurig in the office as we have one at ours! I would recommend a KCup Vending Machine to go with it though, because they will "mysteriously walk off" I promise you that! People love taking them for their cost control. Just something to consider...