Howdy! I am excited to be here at Scientopia! For those who have never heard of me, I thought a brief introduction might be useful.
I am a bug pundit. In much the same way that Stephen Colbert is a conservative talk host, I am a blue insect
overlord goddess spreading the gospel of entomology online. I have a PhD in entomology, and a Masters in Whup Ass.
In addition to being blue, I sometimes work blue. If you went to ScienceOnline2012, you KNOW that statement is true. You can listen to the Scio12 story that brought the house down here. It's....probably not safe for work. But you will learn that:
- Pubic lice are like sea monkeys. IN YOUR PANTS.
- The internet is a very, very strange place.
That monologue should tell you most of what you need to know about me, really. If you want to know more:
- I've written pretty extensively about why I use a pseudonym.
- I work in the Provost's Office (I know! I'm surprised too!) in a Connecticut university.
- There are photos of the "sea monkeys" I was mailed here.
Since Scientopia has given me a bully pulpit, I will probably spend a lot of my allotted posts talking about bees. The most common questions I get are about the Beepocalypse--is it real? And why are they dying?
If you have any burning insect questions you would like me to address, let me know in the comments!
(But please--don't attach any photos, ok?)