Some days it works, Some days it doesn't!

Oct 06 2011 Published by under Uncategorized

One of my favorite quotes about writing comes from Hemingway, "there is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” Some days I am really in the groove with my writing, I am inspired, geared up and ready to roll! My fingertips hit the keys without breaking their rhythm and I am just clicking away. Other days, it is just not happening. My fingers are frozen in the perch over the keyboard or worse, the majority of the clicking heard is that of the backspace key deleting my previous thought or sentence.

I remember when we used to have to delete with the white corrective tape on typewriters, and I am not even that old.

That is what I have felt like for the past few days! I am working on an article, actually a re-write of a previous blog article and it is just not turning out all that great. I wanted to expand upon ideas and give more examples but now I feel I might be better off just scrapping the re-write altogether.

I know a lot of you Scientopians blog but what else do you do? Are you in grad school? Doing research? In medicine? I only have a few days left here on the guest blog and would love to get to know you all a little better before I say goodbye!

Also, is there anything you have ever wanted to know about vision science? Any questions I could answer? Are optical illusions and eye tricks too corny for you guys? What'll it be? I want to serve up some science! Name your pleasure!

And by the way, if I hear crickets, I won't be offended. No worries!

• scicurious says:

Sci is a researcher! And right now the avalanche of SCIENCE is trying to kill me. 🙂

• cherylmurphy says:

Hiya Sci! What do you do research in? =) Maybe you could just snowboard down the avalanche? =)

• gerty-z says:

Another Researcher! I mostly write and talk about science now that I'm in a faculty position, though...grants, papers, seminars, students, grants. I can only hope to die in an avalanche of SCIENCE someday though! 😀

• cherylmurphy says:

What's your area Gerty-Z? I never did research myself but I have worked in labs as assistants while in school (undergrad and optometry) data/measurements/analysis etc, research in vision science both times. I liked research, but I do remember everyone scrambling during grant time!

• Jennifer says:

I'm a chemist who is disabled and unable to work right now. I've started regaining some cognitive skills (and I've remembered so much I forgot I even knew!) and I'm trying to rejoin the science community. The internet and all the science blogs out there have been so great for me to observe and passively participate in what folks are doing, and it's helping me figure out where I might fit in when I'm more able. I love it! 🙂

• cherylmurphy says:

Hi Jennifer! When I read this my heart went out to you. I briefly lost my ability to read during a mini-stroke about a year and a half ago. I was very lucky and I now have no residual effects but it was scary. It is one of things that compelled me to step up my science writing. Writing is something I have always loved and science is my passion. I have always said 'someday' I'll write and after that experience I had I realized I shouldn't waste any more time. =) So glad you are jumping back in!!! =) !!!

• Pascale says:

I'm a pediatric nephrologist and "recovering" bench scientist who is reinventing her career right now, substituting faculty development/educational research for bench work. I also do social media stuff for a bunch of organizations, and others have called me a rabid feminist and lived.

• cherylmurphy says:

Hiya Pascale! Best of luck in your career switch! It takes a lot of courage to realize it's time to change it up and take a plunge into something new. My friend is very into social media, hot field right now! =)

• Vicki says:

Since I've recently been given contradictory information on this: is optical albinism a lack/reduction of pigment in the eyes, a reduced number of rods and/or cones, or both?

• cherylmurphy says:

Ocular albinism definitely has a reduction of pigment in the eyes. I have only seen it once and I've been practicing optometry over 7 years but it is my understanding that there is not a reduction in number of rods/cones it's just that the photoreceptors are all mixed up and disorganized which affects the functioning of the retina.

Here is a source I use often that I trust for information:

Hope this helps! That would be a good write-up for my blog...hmmm, now you got my wheels turning!

• I'm a grad student. After weeks of trying to get started on my research plan, I got a whole first draft written in 3 days. Gremlins, I tell you.

• cherylmurphy says:

Yes!!! Gremlins! I must have started 3 different versions of what I am trying to write. It's just not turning into what I would like it to become. I know at this point I just need to [megaphone voice: 'Step Away from the laptop!'] =)

• Bill Gregory says:

Cheryl, you always come through with articles of great insight (so to speak). I love the bizararity (I just made that word up) of visual memory. You know, someone you know has had a beard all their life, they shave it off and you don't notice because your visual memory fills it in for you. What do you know about that?

• cherylmurphy says:

Yes, I read through that fast earlier! I am going to re-read it, something about it sounded weird I remember, I'll check it out again more carefully!